Arts-X-press is a summer arts immersion program for 7th and 8th grade students created by the Pacific Symphony in celebration of Cole Carsan St.Clair. 150 students are nominated by teachers throughout Orange County to come together for 5 days of creative exploration each summer. The program has two goals: 1) To expose students to all 5 performing and visual arts; and 2) To foster respect for and interest in each student’s individuality, talents, interests, and background.

Thursday, May 1, 2008

Leslie works with Bobby McFerrin!

Dear arts-X-press Family,

A while back, one of our arts-X-press Vocal Instructors, Leslie Bejamin, was part of a wonderful project. He wanted to share it with you all too:

--------------------------------

Approximately two years ago, I was offered the opportunity to become associated with the arts-X-press program. Since then, this association has developed an important relationship in my career and for my students.

On January 10, 2008, my students and I had the rare privilege of meeting and working with Bobby McFerrin, one of the world's leading vocalists, conductors, and performers. Because he was performing with the Pacific Symphony, he expressed an interest for the opportunity to work with a high school choir. Rachel made this unique opportunity available to me and my choral students at Savanna High School in Anaheim, and this event proved to be an outstanding, memorable, and enriching experience.

As if this experience were not enough, the Symphony made tickets for the concert available to my students at a reduced rate; therefore, making Bobby McFerrin's performance with the Pacific Symphony accessible to my students, who, otherwise, may have not attended this wonderful event.


I have noticed how much Pacific Symphony offers the community. In many cases, performances are offered to students at no charge. The programs that Pacific Symphony offers are enriching, challenging, and, with regards to arts-x-press, life-changing. I would encourage students to take advantage of this opportunity. This is one program, because of its unique curriculum, that can potentially change the lives of so many in positive ways. Speaking from experience, the arts-x-press program has renewed my excitement for teaching and given me a new perspective on arts education.

I hope to continue this relationship with Pacific Symphony and I encourage you to become acquainted with the Pacific Symphony, its numerous programs, and take advantage of what they can offer you! Get enriched, challenged, and changed.

Leslie Benjamin
Choral Director
Savanna High School




--------------------------------------

If you would like to read an article about this concert from the OC Register, just CLICK HERE

** Stay tuned for posts introducing you to all of your arts-X-press staff!**

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congrats, Leslie on such a fantastic workshop! It was awesome to see Bobby work with your kids. I hope it will be something they remember for a long time. I know I will! Warmly, Rachel