Arts-X-press is a summer arts immersion program for 7th and 8th grade students created by the Pacific Symphony in celebration of Cole Carsan St.Clair. 150 students are nominated by teachers throughout Orange County to come together for 5 days of creative exploration each summer. The program has two goals: 1) To expose students to all 5 performing and visual arts; and 2) To foster respect for and interest in each student’s individuality, talents, interests, and background.

Sunday, July 14, 2013

MiMo's CE Class

Hello parents!

This morning's blog post is brought to you by Michal and Mo's CE class. We apologize for the lack of pictures- we were having so much fun writing and sharing and creating that photos were the last thing on our minds.

Here's a little peek of how we spend our time in CE.

Each session, we start out with some journal-ling. We make sure to come up with a Discovery for the day, and a Goal for the day.

Kira- I never thought I would actually enjoy a symphony like I did yesterday.

Leah- I discovered that I'm better at sculpting than I thought I was. When we made our horses in visual arts class I was nervous that everyone else's sculptures would be better than mine and when I made mine it came out better than I thought.

Sam-I discovered that 3 minute showers aren't hard and that Mo works at Disneyland Resort!

Laura- This is totally 100% my passion, for lack of a better word. This is so cool, apparently, you can improvise on your violin, which I do all the time, but it is actually a thing!

Brittany- My goal is to come up for an idea for the talent show and maybe start practicing.

Bianca- My discovery today was that because I'm a dancer, I am still considered an actor. I never knew that!

Shelly- I know I said my goal was to get put in vocal, but I realized that I should get out of my comfort zone and do something new. So that was my discovery. My new goal is to go out of my comfort zone and explore the different types of arts.

Cole- My goal is to have fun!

To jump-start our discussion about our theme of EXPLORATION, we talked about exploring space. This tied into our concert seeing Holst's "The Planets". We paired up and created our own planets.

Bryant and Joshi- Welcome to Planet Z! There are mountains made out of diamonds, all the ground is black, it rains rocks, the forest could change colors when it will be hot, cold and rain. If you enter Planet Z you turn into one of the 3 options (magical people, mythical creatures or combined people). Every plant is a Venus Fly traps. If you are a wizard, you breathe helium.

Damian and Medha- Welcome to Phersephone Flato. Our people have the ability to heal by touch. Six small villages surround a jungle forest and the inhabitants are Martians who wear rusty armor and carry ray guns. The atmosphere is made of nitrous oxide in the morning, oxygen at noon, and CO2 in the evening.

Jessica and Pamela- Welcome to Planet Jesimela. The fruits on the trees can cure any sickness The ground looks like pink and purple rocks with blue trees and bushes with green fruits that turn into water when touched by the rocks. Puff people are rainbow colored and have giant eyes but turn into black, giant spiders. They are harmless... most of the time...Rare gems named Pasica can only be found in the center of the planet.

We also started to prep for seeing Pageant of the Masters and wrote stories to the pictures we are going to see at Pageant. Here are a few incomplete versions.

Anna and Grace- The king was sitting in his throne room. When all of a sudden, his 3 wives came bursting through the door. He was flirting with one of the maids. The three women, Victoria, Elizabeth, Jeannette, started talking at one. "How dare you!" Victoria said. "Why her? I'm prettier." Elizabeth asked. Jeannette gave the king a look. The King is horrified at their discovery. He runs but followed by the haunting memory of then. The king burns the crown and becomes a peasant.

No comments: