Arts-X-press is a summer arts immersion program for 7th and 8th grade students created by the Pacific Symphony in celebration of Cole Carsan St.Clair. 150 students are nominated by teachers throughout Orange County to come together for 5 days of creative exploration each summer. The program has two goals: 1) To expose students to all 5 performing and visual arts; and 2) To foster respect for and interest in each student’s individuality, talents, interests, and background.

Sunday, July 10, 2016

Cat's Kittens CE Group

Wow, I must say that I have a great Creative Expressions Group this session.  Parents, thanks for sending them to us!  I have never had a group that was so open to the ideas I present and so willing to share.  They are amazing!  So far, the campers have written in their journals about their experiences, done a fun icebreaker with crazy questions to ask each other, done "I Am" poems, wrote a seriously funny Hamlet madlib, worked on acrostic poems on the word "courage" (our theme this week) and also did a partner write on "Ancient Door" pictures.  We've had some really insightful and creative results. These campers are already courageous risk takers.

Here's just a few examples of the amazing work they have done:

"I spin words with my tongue like silk."  - Liam

Quiara penned an insightful "I Am" poem:

I am unique
I wonder if there is anyone like me
I hear conversation
I see happiness
I want joy
I am nervous.

The Ancient Doors writing is always very interesting.  Here's an excerpt by Jenna and Sonia:

The door, the door,
The beautiful wooden door,
As I stand before it, I wonder what secrets it holds.
On the other side there could be a treasure or a trap.
As if the ocean blue windows are taunting me to look, I wonder.
What could be on the other side?

Nemo and Jessica evoke a darker mood in their Ancient Doors writing:

A young man was courageous enough to finally open the door.  The door showed nothing but his own reflection.  He closed the door and the bridge fell.  The demon cried, "I warned you!"

There's so much more but I do want to save some for the Parent Presentation on Tuesday night.  We hope to see you there.  Cat's Kittens are Quiara, Sonia, Jasmine, Christopher, Kenzie, Kate, Jessica, Liam, Solana, Jenna, Nemo, Cameron, Sophia U., Mia, Hope, Kaylei, and Allison P.

No comments: