Arts-X-press is a summer arts immersion program for 7th and 8th grade students created by the Pacific Symphony in celebration of Cole Carsan St.Clair. 150 students are nominated by teachers throughout Orange County to come together for 5 days of creative exploration each summer. The program has two goals: 1) To expose students to all 5 performing and visual arts; and 2) To foster respect for and interest in each student’s individuality, talents, interests, and background.

Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Happy Tuesday from Cat's Kittens CE Group!

Greetings, Parents!

Here we are on our final full day of Arts-x-Press and what a fine time we've been having with your amazing, talented campers.  In CE (aka Creative Expressions), the students are encouraged to express themselves in writing artistically.  It's an opportunity for them to process some of their experiences, be creative in writing and thought, and hopefully find something in themselves they did not see before.  This week, they've written journals, wrote poems using visual and printed prompts, made mandalas about themselves, partnered on poems and madlibs and, of course, made friends.  Below are just a few short samples of some of the amazing work that has resulted from their efforts:

Wendy wrote a lovely and elegant "I Am" poem:

I am magical,
I wonder if I can fly,
I hear the wind in my ears,
I see little villages below me like toys,
I want this to never end
I am magical.

I just love that!  Here's a little excerpt from Mekhi from an "Ancient Doors" photo prompt:

Empty without a meaning
Inside holds something gleaming
Mysterious hidden doors
Hiding valuables that were lost before.

Wow, right?

Lastly, I want to share just a little bit of an absolutely gorgeous narrative written by Emily:

... The Fish Woman learns that every once in awhile you must step away from the world to find peace and harmony.

I would share more, but I do like to save some surprises for home and the Parent Presentation tonight. Hope to see you there!

Cat's Kittens are Allie, Arianna, Danielle, Katie, Mekhi, Bianca, Andy, Alexis, Maddie, Chloe, Wendy, Joseph, Maya, Emily, and Lauren.  Thanks for sharing your kids with me this week!  They are wonderful!




No comments: