Arts-X-press is a summer arts immersion program for 7th and 8th grade students created by the Pacific Symphony in celebration of Cole Carsan St.Clair. 150 students are nominated by teachers throughout Orange County to come together for 5 days of creative exploration each summer. The program has two goals: 1) To expose students to all 5 performing and visual arts; and 2) To foster respect for and interest in each student’s individuality, talents, interests, and background.

Sunday, July 24, 2016

Week 3: Mo's CE Class

Hello Loved Ones!

This week is off to a phenomenal start. I have the pleasure of having some incredibly bright and talented artists in my class. The focus for this week is the theme: joy. I wanted them to give them numerous opportunities to look introspectively and have the ability to process all the overwhelming excitement that has consumed them.

We take the first few moments of our class to journal. Yesterday, I had them set goals and expectations. Today, after attending the Pacific Symphony Concert and getting to meet 50 or so new people, I had them express their discoveries. A centerpiece of the concert was "Adagio for Strings." I replayed that today and I had them write a story based on what they visualized happening while listening to that piece. It made for some interesting interpretations of the music!

We then took that theme of joy and tied it into a timeline. I had them define what brought them joy in the past, what brings them joy presently, and what they think will bring them joy in the future.

I recently went to New York City for the first time and saw an incredible Broadway show called, "Waitress" and that inspired me to create an activity to create a recipe. A, "Recipe of Me," which allows them to describe themselves in a fun way!

A great way for us to discover these themes has been through music! We enjoy some diverse (Arts-X-Press appropriate) music that sets the tone for our creativity.

I have the joy of having: Madison, Cael, Kevin, Debbie, Maxwell, Anh, Carter, Makena, Brandon, Perla, Emiko, Kenia, and Vivian in my class!

No comments: