Arts-X-press is a summer arts immersion program for 7th and 8th grade students created by the Pacific Symphony in celebration of Cole Carsan St.Clair. 150 students are nominated by teachers throughout Orange County to come together for 5 days of creative exploration each summer. The program has two goals: 1) To expose students to all 5 performing and visual arts; and 2) To foster respect for and interest in each student’s individuality, talents, interests, and background.

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Abbe's Creative Expression Class!

The theme for our class has been "Wear Your Heart on Your Sleeve" and the students have taken to this motto with flying colors.  Whether or not through connecting with each other through games, writing, discussion, or art, the students have made it their mission to be themselves at all time, to not fear honesty in their expression, and I'm so proud of them!
On Day One we started working on literally hearts, where the students expressed the truth inside them through images and writing.  On Day Two we worked on a collaborative poem that we are excited to share tonight at the parent presentation.  On Day Four we used some of the music we heard at the Symphony as inspiration to write concrete detail that we imagined.  And today we used images of paintings from last night's Pageant of the Masters to invent original stories.  The students have really stretched themselves creatively in this class.
I will leave you with some quotes from the students' own journals:

"The told us to take creative risks and I really liked that and it made me feel more confident about myself and doing things I'm not that comfortable with." -Gianni

"Over all, the theme of camp is Creativity, but in my Writing Expression class it's "Wear Your Heart on Your Sleeve" which I totally believe in!  I'm all about self-empowerment!  I love it here!" - Drea

"They make you step out of your comfort zone and make you become yourself.  They make you meet new people and experience new ideas.  They don't want you to compete with yourself but to become yourself." - Sydney

"'Wear Your Heart on Your Sleeve' means keeping your heart open, but not letting anybody step on it or hurt your feelings." - Sarah

"I learned it's okay to make mistakes because sometimes it's fun." - Evan

"I can express myself and be myself without worrying what others will think or say." - Brooke

"It feels exactly like a family." - Oasis

No comments: