Arts-X-press is a summer arts immersion program for 7th and 8th grade students created by the Pacific Symphony in celebration of Cole Carsan St.Clair. 150 students are nominated by teachers throughout Orange County to come together for 5 days of creative exploration each summer. The program has two goals: 1) To expose students to all 5 performing and visual arts; and 2) To foster respect for and interest in each student’s individuality, talents, interests, and background.

Sunday, July 16, 2017

Hello from Michal's CE Group!

We've been hard at working creatively expressing ourselves through stories, letters, journals and poetry. Here are some examples of what we've been working on.

We got stranded on a deserted island with a partner and while on that desert island, we encountered a door. Here's a little of what we saw behind that door.

Kimberly and Naya:
Once the door is open, it becomes a passage to a world once lost.
Step inside and you find Greece in B.C.
Gods and goddesses roaming the mountains which the Greeks call Mount Olympus.
In the sea is Poseidon's land submerged hundreds of feet below ocean surface.
Travel down far below
is where the cyclopes and monsters roam
All will fear, all will hide
from the god of the underworld, Hades,
with on glimpse through this door
it's best to never open.

West and Connor: We found this wooden door on a brick building. On a deserted island in the middle of nowhere. Wondering what this door beheld, West walked in. It allowed us to bend our future anyway we like. The only twist was that we had to sacrifice the one thing that mattered to us. Dun Dun Dun....

Oliver: We walked through the door, inside was no more.


We also put ourselves into the shoes of the characters that we saw at the Tempest and wrote letters and journals from their perspectives. Here's what we came up with.

Annabel W as Stephano: Today I found a four legged, two voiced beast! On closer inspection, I realized it was made up of a normal and a fish-like monster. After feeding them beer, I offered to show them my stash of beer, and made the one with the fish scales kiss my feet.

Nikki as Miranda: Dear diary: Shipwrecked. Gone. Sunk. All of these words can describe what has happened to our boat. We washed ashore on an island. Little did we know about the Ariels. The spirits, or magical creatures on this island. Father imprisoned them. They work for him now. Oh, have I written about Ferdinand? The love of my life! He is Alonso's son! At first, father made him chop wood, but he has finally opened up. Soon we're getting married! I cant hardly believe it! Until next time...

Ali O as Caliban: Dear City of Milan, If someone gets this letter, please save me. I will serve you for you will be my god! A very powerful and evil wizard by the name of Prospero has enslaved me on a deserted island in the middle of nowhere! I have to obey him or he will kill me in the worst way possible! He has also enslaved another creature of the island by the name of Ariel! Even though he seems happy, I know he is not for who would be happy in this devil's rule, for he is evil and tortuous beyond compare! So I beg of you if you get this letter, please PLEASE SAVE ME! If you do I will serve you forever. I will kiss your feet and do anything you say! You will be my god!

Mya as Miranda: Dear City of Naples, Since the storm, I have been stuck on an island with spirits and witches. Luckily my father the sorcerer Prospero is here to I am safe and not lonely. Oh thank the heavens for this! I just found the love of my life! Who would think that the 3rd one would be the perfect one. He says hi name is Ferdinand by my father doesn't let me tell him my name....

Annabel R as Ariel: You served Prospero loyally and wonderfully. Then he gave you your freedom as you bid him a last farewell. What will you do now? Will you e in the wind, on the breezes, soaring through the air? If you will, I hope you enjoy your freedom...


To prepare for the Symphony in the Cities, we listened to music and took notes on how we felt while listening and what scenes appeared in our minds. Sometimes we were right on the nose with that the composer was thinking and sometimes, like when we thought the music expressed elegance and waltzing, it really was about naval ships during WWII!

Here's what a few of us thought about the music:

Aly A: Two people are in love and they go to a ball. They dance the night away. Then the clock strikes and someone has to go.

Enzo: I thought that it was a couple in love dancing somewhere.

Genesis: People dancing everything, blinded by the different colors of the different dresses.

Kate: I see a ballet. They are dancing about being in love. A hoedown. Soaring over the world ride.

Kaylyn: "Crack!" The sound of listening made. Waves ripping through water pushing the boat back and forth. Still, for a split second, everything was monstrous; but now still letting the water take us...

Dora: Soldiers marching. One soldier tries to get away while one sees him and runs after him. In the quiet part of the story, the soldier is tip toeing away and when it getslouder they start running.

No comments: