Arts-X-press is a summer arts immersion program for 7th and 8th grade students created by the Pacific Symphony in celebration of Cole Carsan St.Clair. 150 students are nominated by teachers throughout Orange County to come together for 5 days of creative exploration each summer. The program has two goals: 1) To expose students to all 5 performing and visual arts; and 2) To foster respect for and interest in each student’s individuality, talents, interests, and background.

Sunday, July 20, 2014

Sunday CE-ing

Good morning from Michal's CE class! We are made up of Caleb, Esther, Rebecca, Brendan, Anelise, Kayla, Natalie, Luigi, Julia, Naomi, Tevani, Samantha, Drew, and Kahlo!

Each morning we start with writing a goal and a discovery in our journals.

Rebecca: It doesn't take a lifetime to become close to someone.

Naomi: Today I discovered that there's a counselor who has the same name as me. We're friends now.

Natalie: To eat three pieces of fruit tomorrow at breakfast.

Tevani: I discovered that I can actually take a three minute shower!

We also do some free writing about our day or if we had our magic moment.

Julia; Sleeping in the dorm rooms was actually super fun. I slept really well, but I wish my family were here to experience everything with me. I miss my family so much, but I miss my sister most of all.

Esther: Today my counselor woke us up to get ready for another day at AXP. We played a little game of "Do You Love Me" where a person in the middle of the circle tries to make us laugh. As breakfast approached, we stood in line for breakfast. After our breakfast, we are venturing off to CE.

Kahlo: Today was the first day at AXP. Waking up early, getting on a bus, leaving your family, meeting new people, trying new things, eating new things, and much more, and finding out that it was all because of a baby named Cole Carsan St. Clair.

Anelise: Yesterday was super busy and tiring, but I had a really great time. Watching Beauty and the Beast was absolutely phenomenal. The cast's ability to move the props so quickly was very impressive to me. By the time we got back to our dorms and had finished showering it was already midnight. I guess three minute showers are really not that hard considering I had a whole minute left.

We also respond to a quote about originality, processing our thoughts and debating ideas. Today's quote was "What is originality? It is simply undetected plagiarism." -Dean Inge

Sam: I agree with the quote because it's true: you are original and it isn't a copy or stolen idea. It's you.

Caleb: I agree with this quote because something that is original had to be made by someone else.

Yesterday's quote was "It is better to fail at originality than succeed at imitation." -Herman Melville

Brendan: I agree with this quote completely because it is always better to try and be original and fail than to imitate someone else's idea.

Kayla: I definitely agree with this quote. Changing yourself to be society's definition of "normal" is far worse than trying to be original and failing.

Then we do our daily activity- yesterday we wrote poems based off of pictures of different doors and today we visualized ourselves at different ages and started mapping out our lives. We're looking forward to seeing final products in a few days!

Drew and Luigi: What's behind the door?
Whats behind the door?
We do not know what is in store.
It could be a vampire it could be a zombie
It could be a sweater from Abercrombie
The door is eerie as anyone can see
It has ivy growing on it and burnt trees
I am going to open the door just so I can see
Oh, look at that, it is a green jelly bean.

Off to more adventures!

No comments: